Easy Sugar Cookie Bars with Chocolate Ganache
Sugar Cookie Bars are a simple but decadent dessert topped with a rich chocolate ganache. A wonderful sweet treat for a crowd! We’ve also included a short recipe video so you can see just how easy it is to make this yummy treat.
Sugar Cookie Bars with Chocolate Ganache for any Occasion!
While I have decorated these scrumptious treats with more of a Valentine’s theme, these tasty treats can be for any occasion. You don’t have to put any sprinkles on them or use ones of different colours and shapes.
What toppings can you put on the sugar cookie bars?
As mentioned you don’t have to put anything on top of the chocolate ganache if you don’t want to as it’s tasty all on its own. The crumbly goodness of the sugar cookies pairs nicely with the chocolate ganache. However if you’d like to try out a few toppings here are some of my favourites:
- Sliced or crushed almonds
- Toasted coconut
- Caramel drizzle
- Differet coloured and shaped sprinkles for different occasions – think red and green for Christmas, just green for St. Patrick’s day, yellow for Easter and you get the idea.
- Use your tastebuds and imagination for ideas
If you’re looking for some other tasty sweet treats make sure to go to our recipes section for more fabulous ideas like the following:
Let’s get to our quick video so you can see for yourself how super easy it is to make these sugar cookie bars with chocolate ganache. You might want to make a double batch though as these lasted less than 48 hours at my house.
Now doesn’t that look super easy to make these delicious bars? These are fantastic to bring to any party or gathering and oh so easy to make but yet tasty and they present well. So let’s get to the full recipe shall we?
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 stick butter, softened
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 ½ cup chocolate chips
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- Sprinkles (optional) – see notes
- Beat together sugars and butter until fluffy, then milk and egg.
- Beat in flour, baking powder, and salt, half at a time until mixed. Your batter will be thick!
- Line a square 8x8 or 9x9 inch pan with parchment and spray with nonstick, then spread batter into it. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until cooked through. Remove and cool completely.
- Make ganache by adding chocolate chips to hot heavy cream (I heat in the microwave for 1 minute). Let sit 5 minutes, then whisk until thick and smooth. Spread out over your cookie bars, and add sprinkles.
- Let ganache set, cut into squares, and serve.
Sprinkles are not required but they do add fun color and shapes. Select based on the occasion your baking for from baby showers to Easter and more. I also love toasted almonds and/or toasted coconut on top of these bars.
The total time does NOT include cooling time of the cookie bars and chocolate ganache which is about one hour between the two.
Serving Size:1 large bar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 494Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 173mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 2gSugar: 38gProtein: 6g
Please note that we can not guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information. They are a best guess calculation.
Can you use any kind of chocolate for the ganache?
Yes you can, personally I usually like a semi-sweet or dark chocolate but my daughter loves milk chocolate so we switch it up. I also had someone suggest using both dark and milk chocolate to make a swirled ganache.
I say go for it, as long as it’s a good quality chocolate it’s all good and tasty and it should be what you like the best! So what kind of chocolate would you choose? Can you even imagine a white chocolate ganache, oh think of the possibilities?
Can you freeze sugar cookie bars?
Yes, you sure can, they freeze beautifully, just make sure it’s an airtight container or do what I do and use a vacuum seal bag on gentle mode. You don’t want to squish these just make sure they’re completely cooled before freezing them.What would you top this sweet treat with chocolate ganache with or would you leave them without anything on the chocolate? Decisions, decisions.
Make sure to PIN this tasty recipe so you have it on hand for when you need it. It’s just so easy to make and so tempting to make them all of the time. If you try this recipe let us know how you liked it, would love to hear from you.