Slow Cooker Chicken Meatballs Recipe
The weather is getting chilly, fall is here and winter is on the way which makes it a perfect time to pull out the crockpot/slow cooker. So how about this tasty slow cooker chicken meatballs recipe?
Make Slow Cooker Chicken Meatballs Recipe as a wonderful healthy and versatile option for your meal plan. Serve alone or with pasta or you can make a meatball sandwich!
Psst, there’s also a fabulous giveaway happening, check it out after the recipe!
Slow Cooker Chicken Meatballs Recipe
I don’t know about you but we love meatballs and they’re more versatile than you might think. You can easily have this become a pasta bake type of meal by adding pasta. We give you a few meal options for this tasty chicken meatballs recipe.
Slow Cooker Meatball Recipe Tips & Options
We’ve already mentioned adding pasta (don’t worry we give the details below and in the recipe) but how about a meatball sandwich. I know some people love meatball sandwiches and these chicken meatballs are moist and tasty. Yes, really they are not dry at all I promise.
- You can use regular breadcrumbs or Italian seasoned ones instead of Panko if you prefer.
- If you want the base to be less tomato sauce like you can substitute the marinara for chicken broth
- We prefer to cook the pasta in water instead of in the slow cooker. However, if you prefer you can cook the pasta (if adding) in the slow cooker, if you wish to do that add them in alternating layers with the meatballs and sauce.
- Whether you add the pasta or not we personally like the ricotta topping but it is optional
These meatballs make for a great meatball sandwich. If you want to do sandwiches you of course don’t have to add the pasta, it’s completely optional.Hmmm, doesn’t this slow cooker chicken meatball recipe in a sandwich look tasty? It’s so filling so it’s not always for me but my hubby loves them. Just think of all the time you can save with this chicken meatball recipe, especially on a weeknight. You’re pretty much-throwing everything in the crockpot and walking away for hours. You can make it into different meals, another reason I love it for the tastiness and versatility.
Why we only buy chicken with the raised by a Canadian Chicken Farmer logo
I’m sure you’ve seen me say it before but it bears repeating, my family and I only buy chicken with the raised by a Canadian Chicken Farmer logo (see below). Why?
Canadian chicken is a healthy choice is that it’s grain-fed, free of added hormones and steroids, and raised right here in Canada according to nationally-set, high food safety and animal care standards.
- There is a mandatory, robust, third- party-audited Animal Care Program that is administered across all Canadian chicken farms.
- Canadian chicken farmers adhere to a strict mandatory On-Farm Food Safety Program.
There are many more reasons but those are just a few them!
Let’s get on to this chicken meatballs recipe shall we and then we can tell you about the awesome giveaway!
Slow Cooker Chicken Meatballs Recipe
Make this Slow Cooker Chicken Meatballs Recipe as a wonderful healthy and versatile option for your meal plan. Serve alone, with pasta or even as a meatball sandwich.
- 2lbs (907g) of ground chicken
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- Fresh Italian parsley, chopped (you can use regular parsley)
- Pinch of salt
- Ground Pepper
- 1/2 cup (60g) of Panko breadcrumbs (you can also use regular or Italian seasoned breadcrumbs)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups (475ml) of crushed tomatoes
- 3 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1/2 cup (120ml) of marinara sauce (add more if you want it to be more “saucy”)*
- 2 tbsp of Italian Herb Mix (I did my own with Basil, Oregano & Rosemary)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup (35g) grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 2 cups (200g) shredded mozzarella cheese (to top the meatballs and sauce at the end)
- 1 tbsp Italian Herb Mix
**Optional Add Pasta
- 270g (9.5oz) of ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- Penne pasta
- Place all the ingredients for the sauce into the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- In a bowl combine ground chicken, Italian herb mix, garlic, salt, pepper, Italian parsley, egg and Panko breadcrumbs, mix to combine and then form into meatballs (amount will depend on the size you make them). **if you prefer you can cook the pasta (if adding) in the slow cooker, if you wish to do that add them in alternating layers with the meatballs and sauce at this step.
- Place the meatballs into the sauce
- Set slow cooker on low for 6 hours
- **If adding pasta do this step, otherwise go to step 7.** when the meatballs are close to being cooked, boil your pasta. I don’t “cooking” pasta in the slow cooker but you can try if you prefer.
- Stir the cooked pasta in with the meatballs and sauce.
- *Optional* Mix the ricotta with the egg and spoon this on to the top of the meatballs and sauce in the crockpot.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella and grated parmesan on top and season to taste with Italian herb mix, salt & pepper.
- Set the slow cooker to high and cook until the cheese is melted the grill/broil until cheese is melted and golden on top.
- Serve topped with chopped fresh Italian parsley.
You can use regular breadcrumbs or Italian seasoned ones instead of Panko if you prefer.
* If you want the base to be less tomato sauce like you can substitute the marinara for chicken broth
** We prefer to cook the pasta in water instead of in the slow cooker. However, if you prefer you can cook the pasta (if adding) in the slow cooker, if you wish to do that add them in alternating layers with the meatballs and sauce.
*** Whether you add the pasta or not we personally like the ricotta topping but it is optional
These meatballs make for a great meatball sandwich. If you want to do sandwiches you of course don't have to add the pasta, it's completely optional.
Serving Size:1 plate
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 123mgSodium: 302mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 14g
Please note that we can not guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information. They are a best guess calculation.
What do you think? It may look complicated at first but I promise this chicken meatballs recipe is not and it can give you several meals! Now I have to admit, I made mine extra cheesy. The recipe has less cheese than what my photo above shows as I went a bit crazy on the mozzarella, you’re free to add more but I put the amounts in the recipe that gives it a nice covering of cheese, not quite as thick as mine above. Feel free to add more though!I didn’t have any bread with my chicken meatballs as I had it with the pasta and it was very filling. The meatballs are filling by themselves so you may want to make the portions smaller to start with, you can always go back for seconds.
Don’t forget to PIN this recipe for later!
Do you have to brown meatballs before putting in slow cooker?
You don’t have to brown the meatballs. As the recipe says just add everything to the slow cooker, easy peasy. So wonderful for a busy weeknight.
Can I put uncooked past in slow cooker?
As mentioned, yes you can we just prefer the texture when they’ve been cooked separately but you can do it either way. The advantage is less pots to clean after!
Can I freeze the meatballs?
Yes you can but I recommend not putting any cheese on top if you plan to freeze them in an airtight container.
Now let’s get on to that exciting contest we mentioned!
It’s a #CrocktoberChicken/ #PouletCrocktober Social Giveaway total prize/s value of $500! CANADA ONLY.
- Crock-Pot® 7-Quart Oval Cast Iron Dutch Oven in Grey
- FoodSaver Vacuum Sealing System
- Instant Pot 9-in-1 Duo Plus 6 qt.
ONE winner – Must be a CANADIAN resident 18+ years of age. Enter on the widget below and GOOD LUCK!
Make sure to follow Chicken Farmers of Canada:
Facebook: Canadian Chicken, Twitter: @ChickenFarmers, Instagram: @ChickenDotCA; Pinterest:ChickenDotCA.
Leaving you with one last recipe photo. If you try the recipe let us know how you liked it!
Disclosure: I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.
62 thoughts on “Slow Cooker Chicken Meatballs Recipe”
Always looking for a good chicken recipe and it’s even better that it’s made in a slow cooker!
I missed the giveaway. LOL.
In any event these chicken meatballs sound great and pretty easy to make.
I might make these for our NYE party this year.
Thanks for sharing this recipe, sounds so good!
I bet in a slow cooker the meatballs are so tender. And as you have shown so many ways to use the meatballs from pasta to sandwiches and more.
Love a good slow cooker recipe. My boys love meatballs and anything with parm cheese has my vote!
Delicious! I love using my slow cooker and this recipe is great!
Chicken meatball sandwiches looks good but I would like to try a cream sauce and herb stuffing.
I have never made chicken meatballs. This recipe looks really good and worth trying!
My God these look delicious and super easy!!
I want to try these. I would rather eat chicken than beef.
I’m always looking for ground chicken recipes, and this looks great. I love how you used the meatballs for both subs and pasta. I use my slow cooker several times a week during the winter. It really helps on school nights too.
This sounds great meal with little work. I love slow cooker meals.
Oh WOW! This recipe looks super delicious. I cam’t wait to try this chicken meatballs.
I want to try this version. I would rather eat ground chicken than beef. It just seems healthier too. Thank you for the recipe.
These look really tasty! I would love to give them a try!
I’ve never had chicken meat balls they sound really good and easy.
That looks so delicious! I can’t wait to make it.
My husband would love to try this recipe.
This looks so yummy and I will have to try out the recipe 🙂
This is a nice recipe for all of us who try not to eat a lot of red meat. Looks yummy!
I love this idea for chicken meatball subs! It would be a great family meal for us.
This recipe looks very tasty! I love that you can just add everything in the pot . I also like that
you can use this for different meal planning.
Slow cooker is the way to go.
I just made a beef stroganoff recipe in the slow cooker. This would be a great one to try next! Thanks!
I love a good recipe for the slow cooker.
Omg this looks amazing. I’m going to try it this week.
Being able to cook things in the slow cooker is so convenient! It is really such a time saver for busy days. This sounds like it would be a good one to make this fall.
I’ve never seen this type of dish done in a slow cooker. I’d love to try it. It looks delicious. Thanks for sharing!
This recipe sounds so good. I love making slow cooker recipes during the week when I work. My family would love this. Thank you so much for sharing
Looking good ad tasty love meatball never had chicken
My favourite slow cooker recipe is sweet and sour chicken i made it gf so my son can eat the kids love it
My favorite recipe is slow cooker 8 ingredient chicken chili.
This recipe sounds amazing, thanks for sharing with us.
My favourite slow cooker recipe is tortilla soup.
I have a great recipe for Pickle Barrell Chicken that uses the slow cooker. deee-licious!
I like chicken with salsa, for fajitas.
My favorite crock pot chicken recipe, is coq au vin! So delicious, and so easy to make!
Love making chicken stew in the slow cooker
I love to make Swedish meatballs or roast beef in my crock pot. I’ve heard you can make lasagna in a crock pot or one pot so I’d love to try that too. Thanks so much for the chance to win!
Our favourite is the Slow Cooker Chicken Al Pastor Tacos.
My favourite is the Hot Spinach & Chicken Dip.
I do not have a favorite so am looking for receipes
My fave is chicken stew.
Tried your Chicken Meatballs recipe – was great.
Great to hear, thanks for sharing and so glad you liked it 🙂
I love the Hot Spinach & Chicken Dip recipe!
3 chicken boneless/skinless breasts frozen
1/4 cup taco seasoning
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil
small / medium jar any salsa
taco seasoning, chicken breasts, salsa, water, oil – slow cook for 6 hours (depending on your cooker – mine cooks fast) remove chicken, shred then place back in/stir and cook for another 30 minutes
recipe credit goes to – country singer/song writer Sara Darling
My favourite is the Chicken Vegetable Lasagna.
chicken and dumplings.
Hot Spinach & Chicken Dip (Slow Cooker).
These slow cooker chicken meatballs look and sounds amazing. I can’t wait to make them!
Crockpot chicken is always welcome.
Hot Spinach & Chicken Dip (Slow Cooker)
My favourite slow cooker chicken recipe is a ground chicken chilli! Amazing flavour and so healthy!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
Mexican Cream Cheese Chicken
Savoury Chicken Crostata
Caramelized Onion, Tomato & Chicken Pie
Citrus Ginger Chicken! ????
Romani Chicken Stew. thanks