One Pan Chicken & Spinach Skillet Pasta
With Mushrooms and Parmesan Cream Sauce
This one-pan parmesan chicken & spinach skillet pasta with mushrooms in a creamy sauce so delicious and very easy to make. It’s a yummy meal that is ready in no time and you’ll love that you only have to use one pan or pot to make this dinner. It also has a bit of spiciness but you can increase or decrease the spice level to suit your tastebuds.
Mushrooms, Spinach and More
This creamy one-pan chicken and spinach skillet past recipe features sauteed mushrooms & cherry tomatoes as well. While you could skip the mushrooms (or tomatoes), it’s one of my favourite parts as it pairs so nicely with the chicken and well the entire recipe.
You can also add onions but my daughter and I don’t love onions although I will admit adding onions to cook in certain recipes can add a delicious flavour. I just don’t like eating the onions. I know weird right? Or not?!
Ingredients for this yummy Chicken & Spinach Skillet Pasta
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Farfalle pasta
- Olive Oil
- Garlic cloves
- Cremini mushrooms
- Cherry tomatoes
- Chicken broth
- Heavy whipping cream
- Italian seasoning
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Fresh spinach
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Red chili pepper flakes (optional)
You can easily make this chicken and spinach skillet pasta meal in the less than 30 minutes and that includes the pasta! I will warn you, that once you add the spices and the parmesan etc.. it starts to smell so good in the kitchen. The aroma is amazing, it started to make my tummy grumble, even writing about it makes my tummy grumble ha ha.
Make sure to PIN this yummy Chicken Parm Skillet Pasta Recipe
Make sure to check out our other delicious recipes like the following:
- Chicken and Eggs Breakfast Skillet Recipe
- Chicken Poke Bowl Recipe
- Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken Summer Rolls
- Chocolate Self Saucing Pudding Cake
- Recipe for Caramel Apple Dump Cake
One-Pan Pasta with Spinach, Mushrooms and Parmesan Cream Sauce
I do love this combination and as mentioned I’ve also added cherry tomatoes. While the sauce is creamy it’s not as heavy as an Alfredo sauce in my opinion. While we do add parmesan to this recipe, it’s not nearly as much parmesan as you need to make Alfredo sauce. We add the parmesan near the end of the recipe so it’s not fully incorporated into the sauce but still gives it a nice light parmesan flavour to the sauce itself and more to the rest of the ingredients.
Tips & Options for Making Chicken & Spinach Skillet Pasta
- You have options for the mushrooms. We used cremini as we love them but you can use portabella, white mushrooms, button mushrooms, shitake and the list goes on.
- Don’t be afraid to use the chili pepper flakes. It’s a nice spicy addition that just adds to the flavour.
- You can use any kind of pasta but we’ve found the smaller shaped ones vs noodles just seems to work nicely.
- Proceed in batches with the mushrooms, let them get sauteed before you add the cream.
- Get finely grated parmesan or grate it yourself. Don’t use the powdery stuff, it’s just not the same.
- You can substitute the cherry tomatoes for grape tomatoes, chopped Roma tomatoes or your favourite type of tomato.
Use quality and fresh ingredients
Get fresh spinach, mushrooms and tomatoes. When I go grocery shopping I always look for the Raised by a Canadian Chicken Farmer label (see below)which luckily for us our local stores always care. If your grocery store doesn’t carry it ask the manager to bring it in!
We always cook with chicken raised by a Canadian farmer because we know that it is grain-fed, free of hormones and steroids and they have high animal care standards.
Let’s get to this delicious recipe shall we?
One Pan Chicken and Spinach Skillet Pasta Recipe
This one-pan parmesan chicken & spinach skillet pasta with mushrooms in a creamy sauce so delicious and very easy to make.
- 1 lb (453 g) (2-3 chicken breasts depending on size) boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into one-inch pieces
- 14 oz (400g) farfalle pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 14 oz (400 g) cremini mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups (125ml) chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- Fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes, optional
- In a large skillet (we used a cast-iron one) over medium-high heat add the butter and cook the chicken until golden brown and no longer pink. Cooked chicken should have an internal temp of 165 F.
- Add the olive oil and cook the minced garlic, tomatoes, and mushrooms until tender. Add in the flour and cook for another minute.
- Slowly add the chicken broth, cream, pepper, and Italian seasoning and whisk until incorporated. Add the pasta and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for *10-15 minutes or until the pasta is tender. (Depending on the size of your pasta, keep checking it so it’s not overcooked)
- Remove from the heat and add the parmesan cheese and spinach and stir until the spinach starts to wilt. If using add the red chili pepper flakes. Add more parmesan cheese if desired. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1220Total Fat: 49gSaturated Fat: 26gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 148mgSodium: 485mgCarbohydrates: 148gFiber: 10gSugar: 9gProtein: 46g
Please note that we can not guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information. They are a best guess calculation.
What can you serve with this Chicken Parm Skillet Pasta?
You can serve it with a green salad, Caesar salad, garlic bread, any crusty breads to sop up that delicious cream sauce or just have it all by itself as it’s that delicious.
How long does this Chicken & Spinach Skillet Pasta Last?
This creamy chicken and spinach skillet pasta recipe should keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days. You can easily reheat it in the microwave. You may need to add a bit of liquid (water or chicken brother) to make it more sauce-y if you will as the sauce will thicken while in the fridge.
If you try this yummy recipe make sure to let us know how you liked it and any variations you loved or didn’t love.
For anything chicken whether it’s for recipe ideas, how to handle raw chicken, different cooking methods and well anything chicken make sure to Follow Chicken Farmers of Canada:
Facebook: Canadian Chicken, Twitter: @ChickenFarmers, Instagram: @ChickenDotCA; Pinterest: ChickenDotCA.
Disclosure: I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.
5 thoughts on “One Pan Chicken and Spinach Skillet Pasta Recipe”
This sounds so tasty. I am a huge spinach fan. Love the one pan for easy clean up too.
I just came across this recipe and can’t wait to make it. I noticed that you used a cast iron skillet. Could you explain the differences it makes to use cast iron? I have thought about buying some cast iron and a skillet would be a great starting point (I think). Not sure what size to get and do they come with lids/covers? Any help is greatly appreciated.
If you do a search there’s lots of articles on the pros and cons of using cast iron cookware. I like it as it sears meat well, it keeps the higher temperatures and you can use less oil. Here’s one article https://www.bbqguys.com/cookware/resources/buying-guides/cast-iron-cookware-advantages-disadvantages there’s a huge variety of cast iron cookware and some come with lids some don’t I have more than one as I have different sizes and one that is deeper etc.. sometimes it just comes down to preference 🙂
That looks delicious.
Oh, this looks great! I just got a new beautfully pre-seasoned cast iron skillet, perfect for this! So many of my favorite flavors here. I would add the onions, they perk up any dish for me. And oh, I think I’d add even more mushrooms. Pinned and planned and thank you!