Lime Honey Sriracha Chicken Kebabs
These Lime Honey Sriracha Chicken Skewers are a delicious spicy and sweet take on a classic grilled chicken kebabs. Ready in no time this is a grilled chicken favourite. Whether you call them kebabs, kebob, kabob or skewers (yes these are all for food on a stick) you will love this lime honey sriracha chicken and vegetables recipe!
My husband isn't known for giving out praise (he doesn't complain either lol) when it comes to food but he actually raved about this marinade. He has declared it his favourite of all time. That my friends is seriously high praise and if you try it you will see why!
Pssst, so you to can enjoy some fabulous grilling this summer while social distancing check out the giveaway for a NexGrill 4-Burner Propane BBQ at the end of this post! Canada Only.
Disclosure: I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.
We got to enjoy these tasty lime honey sriracha chicken kebabs on a beautiful summer-like kind of day in our backyard. This got me thinking about how we can enjoy some socializing while still keeping our bubbles small. We have just recently extended our three-person bubble to seven people to include our one set of neighbours who are good friends of ours. We enjoyed a fun informal BBQ on their deck with just the seven of us and some yummy food. Our neighbours other family members don't live in the province and the rest of our family are not in the area as well so it was an easy decision to extend our bubble to seven since neither of us could add any family members not living with us.
When I made these tasty skewers and thinking about how nice it was to get together with our neighbours this got me thinking about how we could enjoy more neighbourly backyard fun and eats while still social distancing.
Backyard summer fun while social distancing
I came up with an idea that could possibly work in our neighbourhood to enjoy some backyard grilling with our neighbours and still social distance. Here's what I am thinking of trying:
Arranging a day and time where our neighbours to the right, left and behind us are all in our backyards at the same time and have a cookout.We can gather in the middle and still be in our own yards for conversation and maintaining more than the 2 meters required for social distancing. Everyone gets to enjoy "company" from another household while still being in their own yard. Our yards are all big so we would have to gather a bit more centrally as mentioned where all of our fences meet.
OR we could use Zoom or walkie talkies, maybe megaphones? lol Hey if all of the neighbours are involved and it's during the day no one will complain about the noise even with megaphones. I am totally going to try and organize something!
Vegetables and fruit for grilling with the kebabs
Any vegetable or fruit you want but here are our favourites that also pair so well with chicken:
- bell peppers any colour
- cherry tomatoes
- sliced squash - any kind
Let's get to the recipe and then I'll share some tips and some alternatives you may want to try.
- 4 large chicken breasts, cut into cubed pieces
- 2 teaspoon lime zest, from one lime
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice, from 2-3 limes
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 ½-2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- ½ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup & 2 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 red bell pepper cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper cut into 1-inch pieces
- Mushrooms 12-24 depending on how many you want on each skewer*
- 2 small zucchinis cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
- Place the olive oil, soy sauce, honey, garlic, lime zest, lime juice, sriracha and salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Whisk to combine. If you’re having a hard time getting the honey to combine you can blend it all for 10-15 seconds in a blender.
- Set aside ⅓ of the marinade. If you don’t want brush more marinade over the skewers you can skip this step or even cut the marinade recipe by one third.
- The remaining ⅔rds of the marinade either keep it in the bowl or my preference is to add it to a large Ziploc bag
- Add the chicken and all of the cut vegetables in the bag (or bowl) and mix so that the marinade covers all the food.
- Cover and refrigerate for at minimum 1 hour, can be marinaded overnight too.
- Make sure the grill is clean. To grease the grill, lightly dip some paper towels in vegetable oil and carefully rub over the grates until glossy and coated.
- Preheat to medium-high heat
- We use metal skewers but if you’re using wooden ones make sure to soak in cold water for at least 30 minutes.
- Thread the chicken and vegetables onto the skewers. I put the skewers into deep dishes so I can pour the remaining marinade over the top and brush some extra onto the completed skewers.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes on each side or until chicken is cooked through and golden brown
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
*depending on the size of the mushrooms you may need to cut them in half. I like cremini mushrooms with the skewers.
** There is lots of marinade leftover as I make extra marinade so we can have the ⅓ to cover the assembled skewers. You can cut down the marinade if you don't want to do that step. The kebabs will have more than enough flavour either way.
Serving Size:1 skewer
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 216Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 212mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 2gSugar: 14gProtein: 14g
Please note that we can not guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information. They are a best guess calculation.
It may look like a lot of steps but you're basically just chopping vegetables and chicken and putting all of the ingredients in a bowl to marinate. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to make these delicious lime honey sriracha chicken skewers.
Chicken breasts or chicken thighs for the lime honey sriracha chicken skewers?
We used chicken breasts and they were not dry at all. This marinade makes them oh so delicious. However, I know many people like chicken thighs, especially for skewers. This recipe is also great with chicken thighs. I do find that thighs tend to fall off of the skewers a little easier so you may want to cut them into bigger chunks so they don't fall off.You've heard me say it many times before but we also believe in using quality chicken and that's why we always buy chicken with the Raised by a Canadian farmer logo on it just like the one below. There are so many reasons why you should buy chicken with this logo and I will share a few of those reasons. First though if your local store doesn't carry it, talk to a manager and ask them to bring it in!
Canadian chicken is a healthy choice that it’s grain-fed, free of added hormones and steroids, and raised right here in Canada according to nationally-set, high food safety and animal care standards.
- There is a mandatory, robust, third- party-audited Animal Care Program that is administered across all Canadian chicken farms.
- Canadian chicken farmers adhere to a strict mandatory On-Farm Food Safety Program.
- Canadian chicken farmers are committed to sustainability through innovation, by preserving the health of the land, providing value to Canada’s economy, & making affordable food for Canadians.
Will the vegetables be soggy or crunchy?
That depends on how thick you cut them. We like them on the crunch side so that's why we do 1-inch thick. Although the cherry tomatoes were softer because tomatoes cook quicker. If you want them softer slice them thinner and of course, if you want them crunchier cut them thicker.
What to do with leftover lime honey sriracha chicken skewers
Oh my gosh we ADORED the leftovers for this recipe. It's delicious on its own but we really liked warming up the leftovers and having them on top of rice. It's a full meal in itself with the rice and you can add a wee bit of soy sauce to it if you like or not. We only had leftovers for one day and that was just for the 3 of us with 11 skewers!
Don't forget to PIN this recipe for later!
If you try these tasty chicken kebabs please let us know how you liked the, what you did different and so on!
Last but not least here's the giveaway I mentioned at the beginning. Who wouldn't love a brand new propane BBQ! I know I would love one.
Follow on the Giveaway Tools below and make sure to follow the rules.
- Prize: NexGrill 4-Burner Propane BBQ in Stainless Steel with Side Burner and Stainless Steel Doors. **In the event that this prize cannot be sent, the winner will receive a BBQ of comparative value. Important to note, shipping is taking longer than expected due to COVID-19.**
- Open to all Canadians 18+
- June 15th - June 29th
Make sure to try some of our other grilled/BBQ recipes like our:
Make sure to follow Chicken Farmers of Canada on their social channels and their website.
More info about Chicken Farmers of Canada can be found HERE