Tips on How to Pick Bamboo Sheets & Cooling Weighted Blanket
Learn how to pick bamboo sheets and the perfect cooling weighted blanket for your bedroom or to give as a gift! These make a wonderful luxurious gift everyone will love! In fact, they are so wonderful that we had to include bamboo sheets and a cooling weighted blanket from Gravity blankets on our Mother’s Day Gift Guide!
Disclaimer: We were compensated for this post but as always all opinions are 100% our own.
What to look for in a Weighted Blanket
We became familiar with weighted blankets late last year when I started to explore the benefits of them in hopes of helping my daughter have a more peaceful sleep. Did you know that weighted blankets are used for sensory needs? Yep, it’s true, in fact we have an article all about it check out our Weighted Blankets for Sensory Needs and More article.
Weighted blankets provide a calming effect and reducing anxiety with their gentle pressure that mimics a hug, it seems to help people to fall asleep and stay asleep. When we get a hug our bodies release a hormone called oxytocin which helps reduce blood pressure, makes the heart slow down a bit and provides that ahhh relaxed feeling.
As my daughter is a “hot” sleeper like her mom I got her a cooling weighted blanket, a single sized one since it was just for her. It was perfect and unlike most blankets she wasn’t throwing it off her during the night because she was too hot. After getting her that cooling weighted blanket I got one for my husband but a regular one, he has always LOVED piling the blankets on himself so I knew he would love a weighted blanket.
At first, I got him a single sized one as I wasn’t sure I could sleep with a weighted blanket because unlike my husband I hated having a pile of blankets on me, I didn’t like the weight. Then when I saw how well he was sleeping I thought okay I’ll give this a try but I needed a cooling weighted blanket so I got us one in a king-size. To my surprise all the weighted blankets I looked at the time whether it was their Queen or King-sized ones the sizing was just for the surface of the mattress, so it didn’t drape down the sides.
When you have two people sleeping on the bed it was a bit of challenge to have this blanket that didn’t drape down the sides but it was manageable. However, I didn’t love the look of it just covering the top of the mattress. My bed did not look made, it might not bother some people but I didn’t love it and would find myself folding it and putting a duvet on top to make the bed. At the time I did not know of any weighted blankets that were more the size of regular Queen or King-sized blankets until we discovered Gravity’s King-sized cooling weighted blankets. As a result, I now have a list of what to look for when getting a weighted blanket.
Must-haves for a weighted blanket
- TRUE Sizing – The Gravity Queen / King Cooling Blanket is 90” x 90” (a true to size Queen / King blanket that fits both bed sizes!) and available in their flagship Grey, Navy, and White – This is my number one priority when selected a weighted blanket. I want it to replace my regular duvet when in use.
- Breathable material – I’m already a hot sleeper I need my blankets to have breathable material. The gravity duvet cover is made of breathable material.
- Comfortable duvet cover material– the duvet is going to be on my skin it needs to be soft but also easy to remove to clean it and yes it must be machine washable
- Moistuire wicking – Again hot sleeper here and even if you’re not you’ll love this.
- Uniformly distributed glass beads in the blanket – This makes a difference, you don’t want lumpy spots on the blanket when it comes to the weighted glass beads. Gravity’s blanket has precise gridded stitching that keeps the glass beads uniformly distributed for our comfort.
- Internal clasps (ties and elastic-button connectors) in the duvet cover to secure the inner weighted blanket inside the duvet cover. I have some regular duvet covers that I love except for the fact that they don’t have the inner clasps so the duvet moves around. So I end up not using those duvet covers.
I’m happy to say that Gravity’s cooling weighted blanket meets all of my criteria above! To see more about the weight of the blankets get the Detailed Weight Information.
I am slowly getting used to sleeping with a weighted blanket, my husband loves it and sleeps so much better and I am grateful that it’s a cooling blanket, I would not be able to sleep with a regular one lol
How to pick bamboo sheets
I love bamboo-cotton sheets for a multitude of reasons but not all bamboo sheets are equal. Here are a few things I look for and why I love Gravity’s new line of bamboo-cotton sheets.
Must-haves for bamboo sheets
Higher thread count – Gravity’s 300 thread count more than fits the bill
Deep-pocket fitted sheet – Gravity’s fitted sheets fit mattresses 12-inches or higher, with elastic corner bands on it preventing shifting or pulling during use. I was amazed at the deep pockets on Gravity’s fitted sheets. These babies will fit on any mattress. My king-sized mattress also has a two-layer mattress topper making it difficult to keep some fitted sheets on it. Not so with Gravity-s deep pocket fitted sheet. There was still room but the elastic is keeping them in place. On some sheets my husband’s side of the bed the corner would come off on other sheets because he moves so much and they wouldn’t stay put, not so with Gravity’s bamboo sheets.
Machine-washable – believe it or not, some bamboo sheets say to dry clean. No one has time or money to dry clean their sheets.
Reasonable price – While bamboo sheets are amazing, many places for quality bamboo sheets charge $200 or more for a set. Gravity Blanket’s bamboo sheets are far more reasonable. A king-sized set is only $130 and well worth it. They wash well, they don’t pill and they just feel so comfortable to sleep on.
Why bamboo sheets are the best
- Bamboo sheets are incredibly soft and cool to the touch.
- Moisture-wicking properties that keep us comfortable and cooler in warmer sleeping conditions.
- Naturally breathable, cooling and hypoallergenic!
- Natural deodorizing and antimicrobial properties.
- Bamboo is also very sustainable as a crop. It’s a fast-growing grass that requires no fertilizer and self-regenerates from its own roots, making it a more eco-friendly material.
- Naturally breathable and cooling, moisture-wicking, and hypoallergenic.
- Gravity Sheets are made of bamboo, which tends to perform better than other fibers when it comes to odors and has
It’s hard to sleep on any other sheets once you’ve slept on bamboo sheets. Gravity’s bamboo sheets come in silver, white and cream. I have the silver ones as shown in the photos above and love them. The photos above show the sheets right after they were taken out of the dryer. They were not ironed (who irons sheets?!) and considering don’t have a lot of wrinkles.
I have washed them several times now and there’s no signs of pilling or wear, they just feel so soft and cooling. I can’t sleep on regular sheets any more lol
I love the silver bamboo sheets and would love to get another set. I think they would make for a wonderful gift at any time of the year. Have you tried bamboo sheets yet?
Make sure to go to Gravity’s site to check out all of their blankets, sheets and more.
Website: Detailed Weight Information