Delicious and Easy Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
This Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is a perfect comfort food meal that comes together in minutes using your electric pressure cooker with amazing flavours! I love this soup during these cold February days that we’re currently experiencing. The spicy flavours add to the tang of the added lime juice, creating a delicious flavour. Beat the cold with this yummy soup. I also find that it’s can be so filling that it can be a full meal too!
I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.
I think this Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is now one of my favourite all-time soups. I love that we can add whatever toppings we want from the lime juice to chili peppers, crunchy tortilla chips or tortillas, cilantro, avocado and more. I tried to make this soup so that it had a bit of kick but mild enough that it wasn’t too spicy for my hubby and daughter. I spiced up my own bowl by adding some red chilis and jalapenos so it was a win-win for everyone.I love the flavours that the fresh lime and cilantro add to the soup as the toppings and of course some shredded cheese that melted into some gooey goodness. My hubby and daughter love bell peppers (me not so much) so while they took a pass on the chili peppers they added some chopped yellow and orange bell peppers to their bowls. We each enjoyed our filling bowls of this Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup. I loved throwing all the ingredients into the Instant Pot and just letting it do its thing. Once the Instant Pot reached pressure it was only six minutes of actual cooking in the pot. My soups tend to have lots of ingredients as I prefer a hearty soup over one that’s more broth than substance. That said if you don’t want quite as much as I do just cut back on whatever you want.
PIN this recipe for later!
Now let’s get to this delicious Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe shall we?
- 6 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 can Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilis undrained & ½ can (270ml) of other diced tomatoes (unless you want it really spicy use two cans of Rotel)
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 tsp chili powder (or 2 tsp if not using Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilis)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp coriander (ground)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breast (depends on size & how much you want about .75kg or 1.5 lbs)
- 1 can (540ml) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1.5 tbsp lime juice
- Fresh lime wedges
- Chopped cilantro to taste (optional)
- Optional toppings: tortillas, tortilla chips, sliced or diced avocado, guacamole shredded cheese or sour cream
- Add the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, onion and garlic to the instant pot.
- Add the chicken breasts next then top with all the spices on the chicken where possible.
- Add the corn and black beans no need to stir.
- Lock your Instant Pot lid and set to cook on manual high pressure for 6 minutes. (Note: Pressure takes several minutes to buiild)
- Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. Use the quick release lever to release the rest of the pressure.
- Once depressurized, remove the chicken and shred it, it will practically fall apart.
- Return the chicken to the pot, add the 1.5 tbsp of lime juice and mix the soup
- Top with cilantro and more lime juice, we did.
- Optional Toppings: tortilla chips, diced avocado, shredded cheese, sour cream or guacamole.
The toppings make this soup! Don't be afraid to add some toppings. We love the shredded cheese and crunchy tortillas on top yum yum. Lots of cilantro is also a fave
Serving Size:414 ml
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 360Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 1003mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 5gSugar: 9gProtein: 30g
Please note that we can not guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information. They are a best guess calculation.
Now does that sound easy or what? Remember this soup is all about the toppings, it totally makes this soup and you can add what you each love!
You may have heard me say it before but I’ll say it again I only use chicken that has the raised by a Canadian farmer logo.
Why we only buy and eat chicken with the raised by a Canadian farmer logo.
I actually have a long list of reasons but the ones closest to my heart are that as my husband and I are both small business owners aka we work for ourselves we also believe in supporting small businesses and our community. We get all of that and more when we buy chicken with the raised by a Canadian farmer logo. The majority of those farms are family owned and run and this means we’re all supporting and contributing to the Canadian economy. Pair that with the fact that I know we’re getting quality chicken that is hormone-free and raised to the highest animal care standards then I’m a happy mama. My family gets quality food that is ethically raised while supporting family-owned businesses that help our country’s economy. What’s not to like?
If your grocery store doesn’t carry chicken with this logo make sure to talk to the store manager and ask for them to bring it in. You won’t be sorry you did.
Don’t forget to follow Chicken Farmers of Canada on their social channels.
Have you tried Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup before? If you try this recipe let us know how you liked it and if you made any changes!
Make sure to check out some of our other tasty recipes like this one where you share How to make Corn Chowder