Creamy Garlic Parmesan Chicken
This Creamy Parmesan Chicken with Spinach and mushrooms recipe will quickly become a new family favourite! You can make it in a skillet or in a casserole dish, the choice is yours! The marinade gives the chicken tons of flavour and paired with the delicious parmesan sauce it's a winning combination. It's wonderful on rice, pasta and/or with a side of veggies. Make sure to check out our recipe video below!
Disclosure: I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.
PIN this Creamy Chicken Breast in Spinach Parmesan Sauce Recipe
This Creamy Garlic Parmesan Chicken Recipe can be ready in an hour or less (excluding marinating time) but whether you marinate the chicken for 20 minutes or a few hours it's totally worth the time. The Parmesan sauce is just so delicious, my family loves it and puts it on almost anything. Rice, pasta, veggies etc...
With the added spinach to the sauce you get the benefits of that lovely greens leafy stuff. Even my picky eater of a daughter who won't eat spinach in anything else loves this sauce, spinach and all.
Creamy Parmesan Garlic Mushroom Chicken
Garlic, parmesan, spinach and mushrooms in a creamy sauce paired with the chicken breasts and potatoes are a match made in heaven. When this dish is being cooked, my kitchen smells amazing. I had the family coming into the kitchen to ask what smelled so good lol
Cast-Iron Skillet or Casserole Dish?
You can bake the chicken baby potatoes in a cast iron skillet like I've done or a casserole dish. It's whatever you prefer. I generally love the flavour and golden colour I get on the chicken in a cast-iron skillet (this one is a 10" deep pan) but if I'm feeling lazy and don't want to have to clean the cast-iron skillet (cause we all know it's a bit more work) I use a casserole dish.
Make sure to check out our other delicious recipes like the ones below!
- Chicken Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- Buffalo Chicken Sliders Recipe
- Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken Skewers Recipe
This creamy garlic parmesan chicken is super easy to make and just so scrumptious. This recipe for my family of three usually is only enough for one meal for us. It's become so popular with the family that I have to double the recipe now so that we have enough leftovers for the next day! I'm not complaining it's so yummy and the sauce is just so good on everything.
We always buy and eat chicken raised by a Canadian chicken farmer with the logo below. If your store doesn't carry chicken with this logo ask the manager to bring it in. It’s a healthy choice is that it’s grain-fed, free of added hormones and steroids, and raised right here in Canada according to nationally-set, high food safety and animal care standards.
- There is a mandatory, robust, third- party-audited Animal Care Program that is administered across all Canadian chicken farms.
- Canadian chicken farmers adhere to a strict mandatory On-Farm Food Safety Program.
- Canadian chicken farmers are committed to sustainability through innovation, by preserving the health of the land, providing value to Canada’s economy, & making affordable food for Canadians.
Follow Chicken Farmers of Canada (Chicken.ca) for prep and cooking times, delicious recipes and more!
Sour Cream or Heavy Cream for the Parmesan Sauce?
I've used both sour cream and heavy cream for this recipe and both have their advantages. If you want the sauce to be a bit thicker use sour cream but it does give you a bit of a tarter taste. If you want a "creamier" sauce but not as thick use a heavy cream like one with 35% fat such as a whipping cream. I like them both but they each produce slightly different flavours but the whipping cream version is my favourite of the two. They are both delicious and it's personal preference.
You can use a lighter fat content cream of course and it will still be yummy but as with any changes to ingredients keep in mind it will change the taste of the recipe.
Fresh spinach or frozen?
You can use either. If you do use frozen spinach, I would defrost it first and squeeze some of the liquid out of it so it doesn't make your sauce runny.
As promised here's our creamy parmesan garlic mushroom chicken video!
Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days. When reheating, either microwave it or reheat it on the stove in a saucepan, stirring occasionally until heated through.
Note: Cream-based dishes can separate and become watery when reheated. To avoid this, try reheating it gently over low heat and stirring frequently to keep the sauce from breaking.
Let's get to this yummy recipe now shall we? If you try this recipe let us know how you liked it and any changes you made that you loved.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup (120ml) plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 cup baby potatoes, halved
- 1 ½ cups (180g) baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup (120g) sliced mushrooms
- 1 ½ cups (354ml) heavy cream (or sour cream)
- ¼ cup (30g) grated Parmesan cheese
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, honey, olive oil, minced garlic, oregano, salt, black pepper, paprika, and cayenne pepper (if using).
- Place the chicken breasts in a large resealable bag (or an airtight container) and pour the marinade over them.
- Seal the bag and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a baking dish or a cast iron skillet (mine was a 10" skillet) with cooking spray.
- Arrange the baby potatoes in a single layer in the baking dish. Place the marinated chicken breasts on top of the potatoes. Bake the chicken and potatoes for 25 minutes.
- While the chicken and potatoes are baking, in a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the sliced mushrooms until they are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the baby spinach leaves and sauté until they are wilted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream to the skillet and stir to combine with the spinach and mushrooms.
- Simmer the cream for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it has thickened. Stir in the grated Parmesan cheese.
- Remove the chicken and potatoes from the oven and spoon the creamy spinach and mushroom sauce over the chicken. Return the baking dish to the oven and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through (chicken should have an internal temp of 165ºF and the potatoes are tender.
Note: Cream-based dishes can separate and become watery when reheated. To avoid this, try reheating it gently over low heat and stirring frequently to keep the sauce from breaking
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 386Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 116mgSodium: 424mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 43g
Please note that we can not guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information. They are a best guess calculation.