Easy Chicken Phyllo Cup Appetizers with Spinach & Mushrooms
These easy chicken phyllo cup appetizers are a perfect addition to any party! These are loaded with a delicious chicken, mushroom, and spinach mixture that wows your tastebuds!
Disclaimer: We were compensated for creating this recipe but as always all opinions are 100% our own.
Chicken Appetizers for the holiday season and beyond
It's that time of year where we try to get together with family and friends, some of whom we might not have seen all year. With these gatherings there's always food so it's nice to have some easy but oh so tasty appetizers up your sleeve. These easy chicken phyllo cup appetizers are so tasty and you can prepare the filling ahead of time and fill the phyllo cups to bake before you leave. They don't need to bake for long before they're ready to enjoy.
Can't find the pre-made phyllo cups? No worries we'll share some tips on how to create your own. If you want to look for the phyllo cups a company called Athens makes them in the US and Canada. I bought mine here in Canada. For the United States I found them on Amazon here, but again as I mentioned I will also share in the recipe notes how to make your own if you can't find them or if you just prefer to form your own. If you need more chicken appetizer ideas make sure to go to chicken.ca as they have tons of recipe ideas including appetizers like chicken alfredo turnovers or how about some Asian chicken wings? So many delicious recipes on their site that you'll never run out of ideas this holiday season and beyond.
I, of course, have more chicken appetizers as well like the ones below! You can also check out all of our recipes HERE.
I especially love this Christmas Tree Chicken Pinwheels recipe for the holiday parties!
I've said it many times before and I'll say it again because it's so important to me. I only buy chicken with the above Raised by a Canadian Farmer logo as quality matters to me and what I feed my family. They have high standards for human treatment of chickens, many are farms that are family-owned and they give back to their community. Also the chicken is always raised grain-free without hormones! If you can't find that logo in your grocery store you can ask them manager to bring it in! Also while shopping make it easier on yourself, use their free Chicken App. I love it and never go grocery shopping without it. the app lets you create as many lists as you like, share them with anyone at any time and includes real-time syncing, so you’re always up to date. Their app works cross-platform, so iPhone and Android users can share, sync and shop – anytime, anywhere. An essential for anyone who grocery shops.
Now how is ready to check out this oh so tasty and easy chicken phyllo cups appetizer? Let's get to it shall we?
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken breast
- 4 cups fresh spinach (Or ⅓ cup thawed and drained of excess moisture, frozen chopped spinach)
- 4 oz or half a carton button mushrooms (I used sliced), chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 30 phyllo cups (2 boxes)
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, then add the spinach, tossing until completely wilted. About 5 minutes. Place in a paper towel lined bowl to drain, squeeze out excess moisture and chop when cooled. (Or you can use frozen chopped spinach)
- Over medium heat in the same sauté pan, add 1 tablespoon oil. Add chopped mushrooms and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. In the last 30 seconds of cooking add minced garlic being careful not to burn the garlic by stirring continuously.
- In a medium bowl combine chicken, spinach, mushroom and garlic mixture, cream cheese, parmesan, salt and pepper. Stir until well combined. Spoon into phyllo cups.
- Place on a baking sheet and cook for 10-12 minutes in a 350-degree oven.
You can fill the phyllo cups to the top.
This appetizer tastes best warm but they are still tasty at room temperature too.
See after this recipe how to make your own phyllo cups if you can't find pre-made ones.
Serving Size:1 phyllo cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 116Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 175mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 3g
Please note that we can not guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information. They are a best guess calculation.
Now doesn't that sound and look easy?
How to make your own Phyllo Cups
As promised, in case you can't find pre-made phyllo cups we're sharing how to here.
- Put a sheet of phyllo dough on top of parchment paper.
- Lightly spray with oil, then place another sheet on top.
- Repeat until you have a layer of 6 sheets.
- Cut the stack into 12 equal square piece
- Press each layered square piece into the cups of a regular size muffin tin
- Bake for about 13-15 minutes or until a nice golden brown. Don’t let them burn.
- Cool and they are ready to use!
Can this easy chicken phyllo cups appetizer recipe be frozen?
You can freeze the filling and then just put the filling in the phyllo cups to bake when you're ready. I don't recommend freezing in the phyllo cups, they would still taste good but they phyllo could get soggy when defrosted.
Don't forget to PIN this recipe for later!
Chicken Farmers of Canada has fabulous giveaway with a $500 value prize! Canada Only.
- Giveaway ends December 23rd at 11 am EST.
- Prizes include a Google Nest Hub and Ninja Foodi Hot/Cold Blender
Click on the "continue reading" below to enter the giveaway for the Google Nest Hub and Ninja Foodi Hot/Cold Blender!
How about a few more tasty apptizers, here are two of my other favourite chicken appies for the holidays!
Disclosure: I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.