After Eight Peppermint Hot Chocolate Recipe
Make this rich and creamy After Eight Peppermint Hot Chocolate as it's the ultimate decadent chocolate drink. It also has pieces of the After Eight chocolate on top for a delicious hot beverage!
Love Peppermint and After Eight Chocolate?
I just recently learned that unless your Canadian and/or from the United Kingdom you might not have heard of After Eight chocolates. So for those who haven't they are thin dark chocolate squares filled with peppermint flavoured fondant cream and are oh so good. The Ovation chocolates or York Peppermint Patties are similar but not the same. They are not as thin and have a slightly different taste but that's the closest U.S alternatives I can think of. They are the square chocolates you see in our photos.
Ever since I was a child I have loved After Eight chocolates. I used to hope to see them in my stocking at Christmas as it seemed that was the only time of the year we received them. They were my absolute favourite and of course what child doesn't love hot chocolate? Chocolate and peppermint are a classic pairing and add that to a homemade hot chocolate and you've got a decadent hot beverage that everyone can enjoy.
However peppermint can be one of those flavourings that can be overpowering so it's important to find the perfect balance so you can enjoy all that chocolate-y goodness, the peppermint and of course the After Eights. That might just be my priority though as I like to be able to taste all the flavours and have it become the perfect blend of all that deliciousness.
This After Eight Peppermint Hot Chocolate recipe has quickly become a family favourite, my daughter has made it a few times herself since the colder weather hit. This is a big deal folks as my daughter rarely volunteers to make anything from scratch. Normally she would go grab either some powdered hot chocolate or some chocolate syrup, put it in a mug, add milk and she would microwave it. This one is so good she will take the time to make it. It's that delicious, like I said that teen rarely makes anything from scratch lol.
What you need to make After Eight Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- Good quality chocolate chips or chocolate squares (you can use milk or semi-sweet I used the latter)
- Cocoa powder
- White sugar
- Peppermint extract
- After Eight Chocolates (for those not in Canada you can get them on Amazon HERE)
- Whipping Cream (optional)
- Chocolate Sauce (optional)
Make sure to check out our other tasty recipes!
Is there a grown-up version of the After Eight Peppermint Hot Chocolate?
Well, folks, there's nothing stopping you from adding a bit of peppermint schnapps instead of the peppermint extract. What else are you going to do with the schnapps? I don't know about you but I generally have no use for it but I could put a wee bit in this delicious hot chocolate but it really is delicious just the way it is.
Don't forget to PIN this recipe for later.
Milk Chocolate, Semi-Sweet Chocolate or Dark Chocolate?
I'm a semi-sweet or dark chocolate kind of gal as I don't like anything overly sweet but my daughter goes for milk chocolate every time. Use whatever you prefer but I always suggest using quality chocolate. You don't have to use chocolate chips they are just quicker to melt but a quality solid chocolate bar always works too. If you want really good quality chocolate you might have to buy bars, depends on what is available to you.
Now let's get to this easy peasy After Eight Peppermint Hot Chocolate recipe shall we?
- 4 cups of milk
- *1.5 cups of chocolate chips (you can use milk or semi-sweet I used the latter)
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoon white sugar
- **½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- After Eight Chocolates (4) (not in Canada get them on HERE or see notes for alternatives. I place the After Eights in the cup of hot chocolate & let it melt in that way for that After Eight flavour.
- Whipping cream (optional)
- Chocolate sauce
- In a heavy saucepan heat the milk until warm, almost scalding but not quite.
- Add in chocolate chips, extract, cocoa powder, and sugar. Stir continuously until chocolate is melted and the mixture is hot. You don’t want to boil the milk, just heat it.
- Pour hot chocolate into cups and garnish with whipping cream and After Eight chocolates. Drizzle some chocolate sauce on top.
* You can try melting After Eights instead of chocolate chips but I didn't find it as smooth to melt. You'll have to experiment to see how many After Eights to melt. I'd start with at least 10. Instead I like to just let the After Eights melt in the cup of hot chocolate.
** If you do melt the After Eights instead of chocolate chips you may want to eliminate the peppermint extract.
Can't get After Eights where you are? The closest alternatives I can think of are Ovations or York Peppermint Patties. They are not the same but close alternatives.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 541Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 131mgCarbohydrates: 71gFiber: 5gSugar: 63gProtein: 12g
Please note that we can not guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information. They are a best guess calculation.
Now isn't that easy for a delicious homemade hot chocolate with flair?
Serving After Eight Peppermint Hot Chocolate
I know many like marshmallows on their hot chocolate, my daughter included but even she has whipped cream with this one. I'm a whipped cream person so this is the way to go for myself. You can do either for this recipe of course but I'd save those marshmallows if I was you because I will be sharing very, very soon our S'mores Hot Cocoa recipe oh yeah. I
I make my own whipped cream so I tend not to make it too sweet. I also make chocolate whipped cream which is also another fabulous topping for this After Eight Peppermint Hot Chocolate. Top it with what you love.
If you try this hot chocolate make sure to let us know how you liked it. We hope you enjoy!